Friday, January 28, 2011

Salmon Chowder

©2011 Rouxde Cooking School
This entry is going to be a no-frills version of Rouxde Cooking School. Bare bones if you will. I never intended on putting this recipe onto the blog but because it was so goddamn good, I felt the need to share. This is why you will find no pictures of the ingredients or steps in the cooking as usual. I could only manage a picture of the final product because I realized after eating this chowder that I had something worth sharing and poured another bowl just for the picture.


It also is a well timed recipe considering how the weather is at the time of writing this. It's snowy and gross outside. I wanted to counteract the freeze by making something soothing and warm and my very pregnant wife wanted salmon (good omega 3's!). So after some research, I put together a rough sketch in my head of what I wanted in the chowder and this is what I came up with. Enjoy!




Smokey Salmon Chowder

4 rashers (slices) of thick cut smokey bacon - small dice (1/4 inch)
1 large white onion - cut into medium dice (1/2 inch)
1/2 cups corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
Salt and Pepper - to taste (I used about a tablespoon of salt when all was said and done)
3 ribs of celery - cut into medium dice (1/2 inch)
3 medium sweet potatoes - cut into medium dice (1/2 inch)
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 8 oz bottle clam juice (I used this)
2 pints of fish stock (if you don't make your own use this)
8 oz cream
6 oz roux
1 bunch of scallions
1 pound of salmon- as fresh as you can get!
1/4 cup of parsley - chopped finely
1/4 cup of dill - chopped finely

1. In a large pot that has been heated over a medium high heat; add the bacon. Cook until the fat has rendered out and the bacon is crispy

2. Add the onions and corn. Stir everything up and leave it along until the onions and corn start to brown. Stir again and let it brown a bit more. Turn the heat down to medium.

3. Add the Salt, pepper, celery and potatoes. Cook until the celery is tender.

4. Stir in the smoked paprika. Stir to combine thoroughly.

5. Add the Clam juice and the fish stock. Turn the heat up to high and bring to a simmer.

6. In a sauce pan set on a medium flame, heat up the cream. When it starts to simmer whisk the roux into it. It will thicken immediately and become the consistency of a very wet dough. This is normal and nothing to worry about. Turn the heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes stirring constantly.

7. Add the thickened cream to the mixture and stir until combined. Bring the chowder back to a simmer. Now, turn the heat down to medium low and cover (I know... up, down, up, down, make up your fucking mind right?).

8. Once the potatoes are cooked through (easily pierced with a knife *) add the scallions, parsley, dill and the salmon. Cook until the salmon is cooked through (flakey). It will take about five minutes, so don't walk away.

9. Bowl it up and enjoy!!! It's great with crusty bread.


* People always talk about knowing when potatoes or other root vegetables are done by sticking a knife in it. When the knife goes easily into the middle, the vegetable is done. Most people don't really know what that should feel like. So before you throw your potato into the soup test its give with the knife while it’s raw so you can feel how much it resists getting poked (insert joke here). This way you'll notice how easily the knife goes into the vegetable when it’s cooked. This also works with forks, thus the saying "stick a fork in me, I'm done". No, really... I'm done.

Cheers!

3 comments:

Best lodge Alaska fishing, Kingfish Charters said...

I love salmon SO MUCH, and can't even imagine how delicious this chowder must be! Thanks for this delicious dish recipe.

Unknown said...

If you make the recipe (and I'm hoping you will) let me know what you thought. It's an easy recipe that yields a delicious chowder. Because of your comment, I've been thinking about this chowder and will be making it this weekend.Cheers!

Unknown said...

Also, you're site looks cool. I also want to go catch some big ass fish now too!