Thursday, January 29, 2009

Homer Simpson's Wet Dream

Combing through the thousands of food related stories today, I stumbled upon this NY Times story about jelly doughnut pudding. Totally grossed out and intrigued I went to the story and after reading it realized that it really had little to do with jelly doughnut pudding and more to do with reusing leftovers. After my initial "I just wasted 5 fucking minutes of my life" tirade, I got to thinking about frugality in this economic climate and realized two things: one is that Eli Zabar is a prick genius for charging people insane amounts of money for leftovers and two is that people should recycle their leftovers more at home. I try to do it as much as possible because most of the time it takes me some descent time and money to make a meal and other times I just don't feel like screwing around in the kitchen (I'm not a machine people). Last night for instance I made a few quick french bread pizzas by reusing some leftovers from previous dinners this week. Starting with a three day old baguette, I looked for my options and went to town. One had a tomato sauce base, the other had a pesto base. I also used different toppings to try and maximize the stuff I was emptying out of my fridge. Salamis, cheese, herbs, salad garnishes, nothing was safe. It was an easy and simple way to make dinner that tasted great. So how do you like to recycle your leftovers? Let me know.

1 comment:

misssamala said...

pizza is an AWESOME way to reuse leftovers--i posted a recipe on mine about a clever (well, at least i think so!) way to use overly-lighter fluided grilled chicken.