Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Kale floret pesto


Since posting my kale floret recipe last week I have made the dish a few times again. I still find it delicious but I had a thought while packing up the leftover kale mixture: "This would probably make for a good pesto base!" Do I yell in my head? Yep.

So the next day I put together a very easy pesto in the food processor. I served it over Cavatappi pasta (it's a fun shape) with a side of pan con tomate (recipe found here). If you were wondering the fresh clove of garlic in the recipe is to give the pesto brightness. The cooked garlic in the kale doesn't have that kind of punch.

The hardest part is making the pasta and, well, if you can't do that then get in touch with me and we'll start private lessons on how to boil water.

Kale floret pesto

Makes enough for 1-1lb box of pasta

1 cup of the cooked kale florets (recipe  found here)
1/2 cup washed parsley- stems and all
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup grated Grano Padano cheese
1 garlic clove- minced
juice from 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1- one pound box of shaped pasta (I used Cavatappi)

In a food processor, combine the first seven ingredients. Pulse in the food processor a few times to get the food starting to break up and mixed. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while continuing to pulse. You can keep pulsing it until it is smooth, but I prefer mine a little chunky (as you can see below).

© 2013 John Houser III

Immediately after draining the pasta, return it to the hot pot you cooked it in and stir in the pest. Stir until pasta is coated and combined with the sauce. Taste and re-season with salt and pepper if necessary. Serve while hot (hopefully with pan con tomate).

© 2013 John Houser III

Make it and let me know what you think.

Cheers,
John

No comments: